Monday, September 22, 2008

Defeat


As I type this, the Mets are losing: 6-2. I think Niese just ran into trouble; a pretty rough game for such a young pitcher--my hunch is he walked the bases full, then gave up a grand slam home run. Such is life. Rather, that is the game of baseball, at least for a Mets' fan. They crumble under pressure, like a pie crust made with too much butter and not enough flour.



Oh well, I hear Penny yelping, which is the only sound coming from the first floor where they are supposedly watching the ball game. Guess I shall take her for a leashwalk, and hope the Mets decide they are tired of being the statue and want to crap on the Cubs.

Which leads me to the question: what the hell is wrong with this team? For two months--from the end of June until the end of August, they looked like a dynamic ballclub. If the pitching was spotty, the hitting and fielding saved the day, and vice versa. Now, it's just a total mess--perhaps the injuries to Tatis, and the fact that Ryan Church is not playing at 100 percent have hurt. Of course, having a bullpen that can't save a ballgame does not help. And I have my doubts about Jerry Manuel's handling of the bullpen situation, changing pitchers the way runway models change outfits. The alternative is to leave a pitcher in until he finds himself or gives up several runs. If John McGraw came back from the dead, I don't think he could get the Mets to the post season.

No comments: